Mr. Edgar L. Miller, in whose honor the Merrillville community takes great pride in naming this school, came here from Corydon, Indiana, as a teacher in 1937. His career progressed steadily to the school principal, supervising principal, and in 1964, superintendent of schools. His administrative achievements were numerous, including the expansion of the physical plant to provide specialized facilities and room for the rapidly growing school population, updating the curriculum to include areas proven valuable, and, in the area of personnel, raising teacher standards and securing additional teachers and staff to provide needed services. These accomplishments led to the Ross Township Schools’ full accreditation by the North Central Association. In addition to all this, members of this community knew Mr. Miller as a warm person who was always available for counsel or advice to teacher, parent, student, P.T.A. member, or neighbor.