What is 21st Century Scholars?
The 21st Century Scholars program was established in 1990 to increase students’ aspirations for and access to higher education.
The Scholars program provides income-eligible students the opportunity to earn a scholarship that covers up to four years of tuition and regularly assessed fees.
The 21st Century Scholars program supports students and their families by providing them with the tools they need to prepare for college, graduate on time and start toward a successful career path.
The scholarship is awarded on an annual basis. It does not cover the cost of books and supplies or room and board. Scholars are provided resources and support to help them learn how to pay for additional college expenses.
Who can enroll as a Scholar?
To be eligible for the 21st Century Scholars program, students must:
- Be Indiana residents.
- Be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens.
- Be enrolled in the 7th or 8th grade at an Indiana school recognized by the Indiana Department of Education.
- Meet income eligibility requirements.
- Take the 21st Century Scholar Pledge.
To apply, get started at ScholarTrack.IN.gov. You will need to provide your name and an email address to create a ScholarTrack account. Click on “My Account” to submit an application. If you need help creating an account click here.
You will receive an email with an application summary and program enrollment information after the application is received.
All applications to the 21st Century Scholars program must be submitted before June 30 of the eligible student’s 8th-grade year.
Before you apply, make sure you have the following:
- Student Social Security number, date of birth and address
- Parent or guardian’s Social Security number, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number if applicable
- Previous year gross income amounts for all members of the household (Example: if you are applying after December 31, 2020, use 2020 amounts).
- A valid email address (students shouldn’t use their Merrillville student accounts). Free email addresses are available from Yahoo!, Gmail and Live.
- Court documents, if submitting a legal guardianship application.
During the application process, you will:
As a 21st Century Scholar, you can get help finding free tutoring, a mentor and a part-time job, and once you get to college, students who are 21st Century Scholars receive support to finish their college degrees.